Keep yourself, your family and your pets safe.
A gas stove or generator are highly desirable appliances, but it’s important that all your gas appliances are properly installed and maintained in order to keep carbon monoxide from getting trapped inside. Carbon monoxide is a natural byproduct of gas appliances, including generators, making it essential to have proper ventilation to prevent the carbon monoxide from staying in your home.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas and can cause dizziness, nausea, and red lips, and prolonged exposure requires immediate medical attention. If you have gas appliances, be sure to keep your vents clear of snow and debris. Watch for things like excess humidity or condensation, stale indoor air, soot or water collecting around appliances or vents or yellow or flickering flames as this may indicate an appliance problem.
Installing a carbon monoxide detector is important to help detect this odorless and colorless gas before it becomes a dangerous concern.
Signs & What to Do
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
- Flu-like illness
- Heart flutters
- Cherry red lips
What to do if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning
If you experience symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, take the following actions immediately:
- Open windows to seek fresh air and ventilate the dwelling.
- Seek medical attention.
- Later, call your fuel supplier or licensed heating contractor for an emergency inspection.
Preventing carbon monoxide poisoning
To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Install and maintain carbon monoxide detectors.
- Have all fuel burning appliances, flues, vents and chimneys checked regularly.
- Ensure electric generators properly vent outside.
- Never operate internal combustion engines indoors.
- Never use a charcoal or gas grill indoors.