Stay alert when wires fall down.
High winds, fallen trees, motor vehicle accidents or heavy snow and ice are just a few of the causes of a fallen power line. If you encounter a fallen line, it’s crucial to act safely.
Take care and stay clear
Here are a few tips on how to stay safe when you encounter a downed wire.
- Stay as far away from all downed lines as possible (minimum of 30 feet) — assume they are energized or “live”.
- Downed lines may be hidden — avoid flooded land or areas that have destroyed structures and debris.
- Avoid driving through damaged areas — downed lines may jeopardize your own safety.
- Report downed power lines to Unitil — call 1-888-301-7700.
When a line lands on your vehicle
A special note about your vehicle and downed lines:
- Stay inside your vehicle (until help arrives) if a downed line lands on top of it – unless there is a fire, then…
- If there is a fire, jump clear of the vehicle — avoid touching the ground and vehicle at the same time.
- Shuffle away from the vehicle — keep both feet in contact with the ground at all times.