Unitil’s RISE Values
RISE signifies the four most central values to Unitil as an organization: Respect, Integrity, Stewardship, and Excellence. Together, these values help us achieve our mission to safely and reliably deliver energy for life and provide our customers with affordable and sustainable energy solutions.
What Is Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion?
In concert with open communications and empowerment, diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) make up the pillar of Respect in Unitil’s RISE values.
Diversity is the representation of varied identities and differences (race, ethnicity, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, tribe, caste, socioeconomic status, thinking and communication styles, etc.), collectively and as individuals. It’s a way of recognizing a full spectrum of individual identities derived from the intersectionality of varied life experiences.
Equity seeks to promote impartiality and fairness in the procedures, processes, and distribution of resources within an organization. At its heart, equity strives for a system that benefits everyone, no matter their circumstance. It is the goal of diversity and inclusion.
Inclusion builds a culture of belonging by actively inviting the contribution and participation of all people to create balance in the face of power differences. Inclusion leverages the value of diverse teams – without compromising authenticity – with the ultimate goal of ensuring that everyone feels welcome, valued, respected, and heard.
Unitil’s Commitment to DEI
To advance DEI objectives, Unitil established a DEI council made up of volunteers with varied backgrounds from across the organization. The council established three areas of focus to empower, retain, and grow all employees: education/awareness, culture/relationships, and commitment/partnerships.
Did You Know? NH Business Magazine recognized Unitil as one of the state’s “Best Places to Work” in 2022.
The Company also committed to thoughtfully challenging its hiring practices to reach historically underrepresented candidates for the Company.
2022: The Year in Review
Unitil made great strides in its commitment to fostering an environment of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Some of these initiatives include:
- Two all-employee learning events (Understanding DEI and Unconscious Bias)
- A quarterly newsletter dedicated to furthering the mission and building upon in-person training
- The expansion of our holiday policy to include reflection on and the observation of Juneteenth
- The formation of a new employee resource group (ERG), "Unitil NOW" (Network of Women) with 15 inaugural members on the steering committee
- The expansion of recruitments efforts to a broader section of diverse job applicants in an effort to increase women and under-represented group applicants and hires
- The initiation of an employee development program, called “Until University,” for new managers and employees who have shown leadership potential with a focus on creating opportunities for women and under-represented groups
- The launch of a formal succession planning and management program designed to ensure that successors are not simply “mirrors” of their predecessors and demonstrate that Unitil truly promotes based on excellence
- Recognition by the University of New Hampshire’s Changemaker Collaborative program as one of nine “Diversity and Inclusion Employer Champions” for our work and partnership with the University
DEI isn’t simply a mantra, and it’s more than just a plan. Diversity, equity, and inclusion is an ethos that recognizes the value of diverse voices and understands that employee well-being is a key facet of company success. Its importance goes beyond the reach of a seminar or monthly newsletter and instead becomes woven into the very fabric of our culture.
In an industry in which innovation and ingenuity drive success, Unitil is committed to harnessing the power of a diversity, equity, and inclusion mindset that celebrates its employees because of their differences – not in spite of them.
- Unitil embraces the realities of today’s workplace with a focus on flexibility, diversity, and work-life balance.
- By drawing on a larger and more diverse applicant pool, we not only ensure equal opportunities for all candidates but also foster a healthy, productive environment for our employees.
- Our commitment to and steadfast monitoring of equitable hiring practices will ensure that Unitil can remain competitive within our industry and market.