Unitil Corporation, (Unitil.com), a provider of natural gas and electricity to customers in New England, is pleased to announce the 2022 recipients of $30,000 in scholarships awarded through the Unitil Scholarship Fund.
Each year, Unitil recognizes five high school seniors pursuing degrees in STEM (science, technology, engineering, or math) from Unitil service territories in New Hampshire, Maine and Massachusetts by providing each with a $5,000 scholarship to offset the costs of their first year of undergraduate study.
The 2022 winners are:
- Cassie Murphy of Dunbarton, N.H., a graduate of Bow High School. Cassie plans to study math education at Evangel University.
- Ayden Lang of North Hampton, N.H., a graduate of Winnacunnet High School. Ayden plans to study computer science at Merrimack College.
- Quintin Lemek of Gardner, Mass., a graduate of Gardner High School. Quintin plans to study computer science at Fitchburg State University.
- George Lawton of Dover, N.H., a graduate of Dover High School. George plans to study computer science at Northeastern University.
- Kevin Kieu of Scarborough, Maine, a graduate of Scarborough High School. Kevin plans to study computer science at UMass Lowell.
As part of the program, a sixth student who is the child of a Unitil employee was also awarded a scholarship. Emma Sprague, a graduate of Dover High School, was selected to receive this special award and will study mechanical engineering at the University of Rhode Island. The Unitil Scholarship Fund was established in 2011 to support students who demonstrate exceptional potential for careers in STEM.
“This was a very competitive process with many deserving graduates, but these exemplary students stood out and we’re honored to have this opportunity to reward them for their academic success. These are substantial scholarships that we hope will help ease the financial burden as they pursue their higher education goals,” said Unitil Media Relations Manager Alec O’Meara.
More information about the Unitil Scholarship Fund can be found at www.unitil.com/scholarship.