Wet electrical wiring is extremely hazardous. If your basement or other enclosed space has standing water, shut off power to all appliances in that location ONLY if you can do so safely. A safety hazard exists when your service panel is either surrounded or affected by standing or running water. Any loose wires should be considered "live" and a definite hazard. Never attempt to remove fuses, switch open circuit breakers or operate switches while standing in water.
Do not use fishing waders, rubber boots or household rubber gloves to insulate you from electricity. These do not provide a sufficient insulation value to protect you from electric shock..
The appropriate jurisdictional inspector must inspect all electrical wiring in buildings that have been partially or fully covered by floodwater before being put into service again. Contact a qualified electrician immediately to respond to the electrical concern with a flooded space.
Unitil advises customers that if you notice a strong gas odor or if there is other evidence of a natural gas leak, leave the area and call Unitil and 911 immediately from a safe place. Don't return until you receive notification from Unitil or your first responder that all is safe.
If the natural gas is shut off at the meter, do not try to turn it back on. Contact Unitil to restore gas service because appliance pilot relights need to occur by Unitil to prevent the build-up of natural gas inside the dwelling.
After a flood, if water levels were high enough to cover the gas meter, call Unitil to check your meter and regulator before using your gas system. Floodwaters may have shifted your home or caused other stresses to the natural gas piping, establishing conditions that favor a gas leak.
If flooding has been severe, natural gas appliances should not be used until inspected by a qualified heating contractor, plumber or appliance repair representative. However, the cost of restoring some appliances to a safe operating condition may exceed the cost of a new appliance.
Do not attempt to place natural gas appliances back in service. A qualified heating contractor, plumber or appliance repair representative will check, clean, repair and pressure test all gas pipes, which may have been clogged with mud or debris.
Damage may also occur to switches, controls, thermostats, furnace heat exchangers, burner and pilot parts and result in rusting metals parts. A qualified heating contractor, plumber or appliance repair representative must perform any reconditioning or repairs to natural gas appliances.